|Summer 2005 Edition|
|Jerry Blum , Editor||
Welcome to the first edition of the Whistling Zebra for the 2005-2006 school year. My name is Jerry Blum and I am the new Editor for this year. Please feel free to send me suggestions on how to make this publication work for you. Please be kind as this is my first attempt at doing anything like this in my life. Hopefully we will have a great year of officiating. If there is anything you want to have printed send it to me.
The meeting place for all three divisions will be at Mundelein High School, 1350 W. Hawley Street in Mundelein. This is Just west of the intersection of Hawley and Midlothian Road. The School phone number is (847) 949-2200.
- General Chairman: Peter King
- Secretary: Jerry Blum
- Treasurer: Randy Steen
- Membership Chairman: Mike Roseman
- FB Assignment Chairman: Bob Brown
- BB Assignment Chairman: Mike Babicz
- BA Assignment Chairman: Vince Cannon
- FB President: Mike Babicz
- BB President: Rocky Nelson
- BA President: Ron Guy
NOA Annual Awards
Congratulations to the 2005 recipients of the following awards:
Football Official of the year: Jim Bernardi
Basketball Official of the year: Robert Miller
Lifetime Member: Ken Swanson
George Young Football Award: Tom Cappelen
Bob Brown Scholarship
Kyle Wilson of Cary Grove H. S., a senior Basketball player, was awarded the 2005 Bob Brown Scholarship. Kyle received $1000.00 to be applied to his expenses at Augustana.
Norm Geske Memorial Scholarship
Mark Woodsum of Buffalo Grove H. S, a senior Football player, was awarded the 2005 Norm Geske Scholarship. Mark received $1000.00 to be applied to his expenses at Northwestern University.
Carl Majeski: Basketball
Bob Marfechuk: Basketball
Congratulations to Joey Hager for being promoted from Registered to Recognized in Basketball.
2006 NOA Spring Banquet
Mark your calendars for the Spring Banquet which is scheduled for Saturday April 29, 2006.The Banquet will be held at Parkside by the Lake in Ingleside. The Banquet is free for all members. More details will be forthcoming meetings and future editions of the Whistling Zebra.
Football Division - - Mike Babicz
All meetings will begin at 7:30 pm at Mundelein H. S. Tom Vogan will be hosting a new officials review meeting starting at 7 pm. Any veteran officials are welcome to help out.
Following is a schedule of Football meetings and topics for 2005.
- 8/10/05 Jeff Stern, NASO and Referee Magazine Football Editor
- 8/17/05 IHSA Rules Meeting at Mundelein H. S.
- 8/24/05 Part 1 Test Review- Group Discussion and deadline for TOP 15 Applications.
- 8/31/05 What it takes to be a Top 15 Official – Tom Vogan
- 9/07/05 Officiating from a State Final Official’s perspective-Jim Bernardi and Football Officers Nominations (president & at large Rep.).
- 9/14/05 What happens before Opening Kickoff?- Mike Babicz. Football Officers Elections—YOU MUST BE PRESENT TO VOTE!
Basketball President - - Rocky Nelson
All regular meetings will be at 7:30 pm at Mundelein H. S.
More information will be in the next newsletter.
If you attain a new level during the year please let me know so that you can be mentioned in the Newsletter. Every should be proud of their advancement. Check the Official’s Handbook and the IHSA website for more details on the process. Remember every time you advance you give someone else hope.